- 2 red bell pepper
- 6 - 8 African Bird’s Eye peppers (you can use any red chili peppers available)
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup lemon juice plus another 1/4 cup to finish
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar plus another 1/4 cup to finish
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Roast the red peppers to get a good char on the outside.
- Chop the peppers and add to a blender or food processor.
- Add the Birds Eye peppers, garlic, smoked paprika, oregano, lemon juice, vinegar and puree until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to a medium-sized saucepan, add the bay leaves and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Let the sauce cool, remove the bay leaves, and return to the food processor
- Add the additional lemon juice (1/4 cup), the additional apple cider vinegar (1/4 cup) and puree until smooth.
- Slowly add the olive oil (1/2 cup) as the processor is running.
Piri Piri Chicken
If you’re making this sauce for chicken, we suggest you marinate the spatchcocked chicken in garlic, salt, piripiri oil, a bit of olive oil and lemon just before grilling. Baste once or twice while grilling.
There are as many variations of this sauce as there are chefs! We’ll be tasting a couple of favourites as we walk the Portuguese Camino in 2024. Learn more about the tour here.