This recipe makes 2 cups.
- 2 cups Japanese shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups mirin
- 1 cup sake
- In a small saucepan, mix soy sauce, sugar, mirin, and sake together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook until thickened enough to coat a spoon (about 20 minutes.)
- Be careful when heating as the sugar content means it’s easy to burn.
- Remove from heat, let cool.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
We’ll be sampling this sauce as we explore Japan in 2024. Browse our tours to Japan here.