- 2½ tsp coriander seeds
- 2½ tsp caraway seeds
- 2½ tsp cumin seeds
- 7 dried ancho or guajilo chillies
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Roasted red peppers (a 150ml jar or 2 large roasted red peppers)
- Bunch coriander
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 125ml olive oil, plus extra for pouring for the jar
Dried Ancho chillies
- Put the coriander, caraway and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan and toast for 1 min.
- Grind with a mortar and pestle.
- Soak the ancho chillies in warm water, then drain and remove the seeds (retain the soaking water).
- Put the spices and the soaked chillies into a blender or Cuisinart with the roasted red peppers, the garlic, coriander, lemon juice, olive oil and some salt.
- Blend to a thick paste with a little soaking liquid.
- Put in a sterilised jar and pour over a little extra olive oil.
- The sauce will keep chilled for up to two weeks.
- We use this sauce on everything! Stir it into your hummus to add a kick, add it to a stew or soup, or use it to season grilled vegetables.
Hummus with Harissa sauce
Or better yet, come with us to Morocco and sample it at the source.