- Azerbaijanis take tea with jam
- It has a city built on stilts
- Its gas is plentiful as are its grapes
- Girls are taught crochet from a young age
- Bread is sacred - if you drop bread on the floor, it's custom to kiss it
Marco Polo wrote about the mysterious flames of Fire Mountain, not far from Baku in what is now Azerbaijan. Now natural gas is a big earner for the country, fueling a flamboyant regeneration of the city marked by the Flame Tower skyscrapers, the museum designed to look like a rolled-up carpet, and the undulating whale shape of the Zaha Hadid designed Aliyev Centre.